Today we are celebrating 10 years to the day that The Artist proposed! He therefore, not only changed our lives, but forever made Valentine's Day one of my favorite holidays!! But I have already shared that story and pictures with the blogging world a few years ago. And I realize that many people down-right HATE Valentine's Day. So in honor of you people- I will share one of my saddest VDay memories. Just to show you that it's not going to be like that forever!
It was a week before Valentine's Day in 9th grade and our school had the tradition of having the "Ninth Grade Night Dance" every Valentine's Day. In jr. high there were many dances held directly after school in the daylight of the gym in our jeans and t-shirts- but the Night Dance was special. Our first almost real dance! No we weren't allowed dates or anything like that- but we did get to dress up in our church clothes and pretend to be at a "real" dance. Just for the ninth graders and it was all decorated. We even had a "theme song" which was Journey's "Faithfully". I seem to remember my brother taking me to ZCMI (back when it still existed) so I could buy a new dress. I don't remember why but my mom couldn't take me. Maybe I'm getting this confused with dress shopping for a high school dance, but I think I got a new dress for this occasion anyway.
Well, I showed up all ready and feeling like something "magical" could happen. (See why The Artist picked the perfect day to propose? Me= hopeless romantic). There was a photographer but pretty much everyone just got into large groups for pictures since we didn't have dates. Our group was huge but I was friends with most of them or at least knew who they were.
It was a lot of fun. I danced with a lot of boys I liked and hung out with my friends. Then it came time for the last dance of the night. The theme song, "Faithfully". Every girl wants to dance on the last song of the night. I waited patiently for a boy to ask me to dance. I was sure it wouldn't take long- I had been asked to dance every single slow dance of the night so far. I waited. And waited. And got closer and closer to the wall. "Any boy. I just want to dance to this song!" Nothing. I was a wallflower for the last dance of the night. Watching my friends dance with the boys I liked. All of my friends were dancing with someone. I didn't even know the other wallflowers I was standing by.
I wanted to burst into tears and pretty sure this ruined the whole night. I just wanted to dance with someone for that one romantic song. Was
that too much to ask for?! I didn't care that I had danced with lots of
boys the whole night. I felt humiliated and heartbroken. Where was the magic?!
Ever since then every time I hear that song I want to bawl. It is a reminder to me that I was once a wallflower- if only for one song. Until I met The Artist. Now every time I hear that song and we are at a wedding or something- I MAKE him dance with me. So now, I love the song. And I LOVE Valentine's Day. I've had the best one I could imagine. But to that 14 year old girl of the past- Valentine's Day sucked!

1 comment:
Oh my heart is broken into tiny pieces reading your sad story. I hate thinking back on Jr High and High School. Now college is a good time. However I have a great college V day story where I was asked out then had to pay for my own dinner. Hmmm The feelings you brought up again my heart is broken into even smaller pieces.
Post a Comment